• Refine News & Events…
  • Department
  • Commodity (All)
  • Date
  • Archive

Links to previous press releases are below.

News X

Pennsylvania Shuts Coal Mines Amid Outbreak


Coal mining operations in Pennsylvania have been shut indefinitely, following state government orders in response to the coronavirus pandemic, IHS reports.

The US state produced 8.3 Mt of coal in the year-up-to 14 March, down from 9.6 Mt in the same period of 2019, EIA data show. Pennsylvania mines high-quality thermal coal, which some India-based buyers prefer. According to IHS, around 80% of the state’s coal output is steam and the remaining 20% coking. Pennsylvania exports around 15-20 Mtpa, mostly out of Baltimore.

For context, last year the US exported 46.2 Mt of coking coal and 33.3 Mt of steam coal (excluding cargoes to Canada).